Bonneville Salt Flats 2011

Welcome to the trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats in 2011. I expect to leave on July 29th and return about four weeks later.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. E-mail me at rogerwilliams623@gmail.com

If you're interested in last year's trip to Alaska, that blog address is www.rogersalaskaadventure.blogspot.com

The trip for 2012 will be to New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I'll be posting that trip at: www.maritimeprovinces2012.blogspot.com

More to follow!!

NOTE: Contrary to what I originally wrote about enlarging the pictures, the web site has changed its software. So to enlarge a picture, doubleclick on the picture and go to "Picture" on the tool bar, go down to "Zoom", and select a magnification for the picture. Once you've finished looking at the enlarged picture, bo back and change the Zoom to 100%.







Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 30, 2011

Parkersburg, WV to Indianapolis, IN

I left Parkersburg about 7:30 headed west on US50.  The weather was very warm and humid, with cloud cover until I got passed Cincinnati, OH.  US50 crossed the Ohio River at Belpre, OH and then continued on through south-central Ohio through rolling, green terrain with small towns every few miles.  I stopped for gas in Londonderry (Ohio, not Ireland) which was a few miles east of Chillicothe and took a couple pictures.  The first one is typical of what I saw all along US50 through southern Ohio:



The second picture is of Londonderry itself, again very typical of what I saw all through Ohio:



West of Chillicothe, actually between Bourneville and Bainbridge, I came upon the Seip Indian Mound.  I guess I knew that the Ohio River valley was littered with Indian Mounds, but except for one near where I grew up in W. Va., I had never really seen one.  If you double click on the picture below, you should be able to read the plaque:




Here is a picture of the Mound itself.  Actually, pretty impressive:


I followed US50 through Cincinnati along the "River Road", which was pretty scenic in places, crossed into Indiana at Lawrenceburg, followed US50 to Versailles, IN, and then took US421/I-74 north to Indianapolis for the night.  Tomorrow morning, I'm going to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, then down Indiana 37 back to US50 and on to St. Clair, MO for the night.

Miles today:  337.  Total:  696.