Bonneville Salt Flats 2011

Welcome to the trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats in 2011. I expect to leave on July 29th and return about four weeks later.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. E-mail me at rogerwilliams623@gmail.com

If you're interested in last year's trip to Alaska, that blog address is www.rogersalaskaadventure.blogspot.com

The trip for 2012 will be to New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I'll be posting that trip at: www.maritimeprovinces2012.blogspot.com

More to follow!!

NOTE: Contrary to what I originally wrote about enlarging the pictures, the web site has changed its software. So to enlarge a picture, doubleclick on the picture and go to "Picture" on the tool bar, go down to "Zoom", and select a magnification for the picture. Once you've finished looking at the enlarged picture, bo back and change the Zoom to 100%.







Friday, July 29, 2011

July 29, 2011

Jamestown, NY to Parkersburg, WV



I left Jamestown about 9:30 this morning and headed south on US62 through Warren, PA toward Mercer, PA.  We had had rain overnight in Jamestown, but by the time I got about 20 miles south of Warren, it pretty much cleared up for the day.

US62 runs south along the Allegany River from Warren down to Oil City, PA, right in the middle of the historic Pennsylvania Oil Country.  The little town of Tidioute is about 25 miles south of Warren and since it has a scenic overlook, I stopped and took a couple pictures.  This is the town itself, with the river running in front of it, but out of the frame:


And this should give you some idea of what the terrain is like in this part of Pennsylvania:

 From Tidioute I headed south along US62 through Oil City and on to Mercer, PA, then from there south on US19 to Cranberry, PA and then south on I-79 around Pittsburgh and down to Clarksburg, WV, where I picked up US50 West and travelled over to Parkersburg, WV.  I'll be travelling US50 most of the way West until I get to Montrose, Colorado, where I'll head south to Phoenix to spend a few days with our son, Patrick.

Tomorrow, it's west on US50 and then a little jog north to Indianapolis for the night.  I'll be visiting the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum on Sunday before going south again and rejoining US50 West.

Miles Today:  359.