Bonneville Salt Flats 2011

Welcome to the trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats in 2011. I expect to leave on July 29th and return about four weeks later.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. E-mail me at rogerwilliams623@gmail.com

If you're interested in last year's trip to Alaska, that blog address is www.rogersalaskaadventure.blogspot.com

The trip for 2012 will be to New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I'll be posting that trip at: www.maritimeprovinces2012.blogspot.com

More to follow!!

NOTE: Contrary to what I originally wrote about enlarging the pictures, the web site has changed its software. So to enlarge a picture, doubleclick on the picture and go to "Picture" on the tool bar, go down to "Zoom", and select a magnification for the picture. Once you've finished looking at the enlarged picture, bo back and change the Zoom to 100%.







Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20, 2011

Rapid City, SD to Worthington, MN

I left Rapid City this morning and headed east on SD 44 southeast toward Badlands National Park.  From Route 44 you could actually see the Badlands on the northern horizon:


I actually entered the Park at the Eastern end, near Interior, SD and headed back West along the Loop Road through the Park.  The scenery was interesting and I did enjoy the little side trip.  This first picture was taken just outside the Visitor Center on the eastern end of the Park and it'll give you some idea of what the sandstone formations looked like throughout the Park:


The Loop Road was about 22 miles long, and there were a number of formations along the route that looked somewhat similar to the one above.  A couple of the ones I thought were most interesting were:


The shot above was taken a couple miles west of the Visitor's Center.



The shot above was a canyon about 5 miles further into the park.



The shot above was another 6-8 miles into the Park.




This last shot was a large canyon about 4 miles inside the Park from the western end.


The Park was interesting and it was worth the couple hours diversion, but I was a little surprised that it wasn't bigger than it actually is.


After leaving the Park, I headed up SD 240 to Wall, SD and the famous Wall Drug Store.  Wow.  Anything a tourist could want and plenty of nice, friendly people to help them find it!  I had a 5-cent cup of coffee and a $2 donut and hit the road east.  I travelled on I-90 all the way through southern South Dakota and about 40 miles into Minnesota for the night.  Southern South Dakota looks a lot like Kansas, only a bit greener.  See previous narratives on Kansas for the appropriate pictures!


I'm continuing on I-90 east to Madison, Wisconsin for tomorrow night.  If luck holds, I'll be stopping at the National SPAM museum in Austin, MN.  I promise I'll take lots of pictures!

Miles today:  463.  Total:  6,057.